Everyone who works as a freelancer knows that it comes with unique challenges. You’re always on call, you never know when the next assignment is coming your way, and it’s too easy to spend your days procrastinating instead of hitting your deadlines. Because of this, many freelance writers neglect their well-being to focus on their professional work.
Thankfully, this doesn’t have to be the case. Cultivating an environment that supports your freelance writing career and caters to your needs can help you thrive rather than survive. It’s not an easy process, though—keeping yourself healthy while working independently is rarely straightforward. Nonetheless, these 25 tips inspired by the five senses will help get you on the right track.
Sight: Look into positivity
One of the most important ways to take care of yourself is by staying positive. Studies have shown that people who are optimistic and see the glass as half full tend to be happier and more satisfied with their lives. Look for opportunities for joy and celebrate small wins.
- Write down three things you’re grateful for in a journal.
- Look out the window and observe what’s happening outside.
- Visit a museum or art gallery for creative inspiration.
- Read a novel, short story, or poetry.
- Turn off your gadgets before going to bed.
Hearing: Listen to your body
Listening to your body is an essential part of staying healthy. Be aware of your body’s signals to know when it’s time for a break or change in routine. Pay attention to any changes in your energy levels.
- Sing along to upbeat music.
- Listen to ambient sounds as you drift off to sleep.
- Follow a podcast during your downtime.
- Call a friend or loved one and ask about their day.
- Play an audiobook as you do household chores.
Smell: Stop and smell the roses
Smelling is a powerful sensory experience. It’s tied to memories and emotions and can affect our mood and ability to focus. It’s worth paying attention to how our sense of smell impacts us.
- Light a lavender-scented candle.
- Spritz some linen spray on your pillows.
- Upgrade your bath soap with a fragrant one.
- Give yourself a bouquet of sweet-smelling flowers, just because.
- Stop by a bakery and enjoy the scent of warm bread.
Taste: Savor the good things in life
You’ve probably heard the saying, “Taste the good things in life.” And you know what? It’s true.
- Cook a healthy meal.
- Eat more fruits and vegetables.
- Indulge in dark chocolate.
- Treat yourself to your favorite food on Friday night.
- Stay hydrated with plenty of water.
Touch: Get in touch with yourself
Getting in touch with yourself is an integral part of self-care. It can be as simple as taking a few minutes to sit and meditate, or it can be more involved, like going to a yoga class or doing some exercise.
- Get a full body massage.
- Take a long hot shower.
- Pamper your hands with cream or lotion.
- Ask for a hug from a loved one.
- Dance like no one is watching.
Self-care is vital for all of us, but it’s crucial for freelancers. It can be challenging to make a living as a freelance writer, so making the most of every day and taking care of yourself is essential. Whether you want to take a break from your routine or need something fun to do on a rainy day, there are many options for self-care that you can incorporate into your daily routine. Try one out and see how it can make a difference in your life.