As we wrap up 2022 and approach 2023 with much optimism, it can be challenging to know what tasks to prioritize. After all, there’s so much to do and so little time! That’s why it’s crucial to identify the most critical tasks to focus on at the start of a new year. Here are five easy ways to start 2023 off right.
Task #1: Comply with tax requirements
The first task on your list should be to comply with regulatory requirements. Close your books from the previous year. Ensure you keep accurate records of your income and expenses. Renew your registration and permits. Submit your books and records to tax authorities. You’re a freelancer responsible for your accounting, taxes, and government contributions. Make sure you know what documents you need to file and when.
- More than a side hustle: 3 good reasons why you must register as a freelancer
- How to take better control of your bookkeeping as a freelance writer
- 4 most important freelancing tasks to catch up on before the year ends
Task #2: Set goals and objectives
Stay motivated and focused by setting goals and objectives for the year ahead. Identify your long-term goals, such as increasing your income or expanding your client base. Don’t forget to include personal goals like improving your work-life balance or learning a new skill.
Once you’ve identified your long-term goals, break them down into small, more achievable tasks. Finally, track your progress throughout the year with a spreadsheet or project management software.
- The 3 ambitious freelance writing goals I want to achieve in 2023
- 4 freelance writing goals for the new year
- The many different ways you can measure success as a freelance writer
Task #3: Make a plan
Goal-setting involves more than just writing a to-do list. It includes setting deadlines for yourself and creating a schedule for completing tasks. More importantly, review your plan monthly or quarterly to ensure you’re making significant progress.
- The 4 ways I want to scale up my freelance writing business
- The 5 freelancing skills I want to boost in 2023
- The 3 atomic habits I want to build as a freelance writer
Task #4: Get organized
Create a system for organizing your work. This system could include creating separate folders for different projects, using task management software, setting up a filing system for documents, or using a calendar to track deadlines. In addition to organizing your workload, create a strategy for your business finances. Set a budget, monitor your spending, and stay on top of your client invoices. Lastly, manage your time by setting a time for focus, marketing, and administrative work.
- 7 useful productivity hacks to help you stay motivated and organized
- How to be a highly effective freelance writer: The habits we practice daily
- 5 task management software tools worth trying
Task #5: Invest in yourself
Focus on your development to stay competitive in the freelancing market. The first step is to identify areas of opportunity for growth. Take a class or workshop or invest in new tools or technology. Listen to podcasts and read books on freelancing and writing. Most importantly, set aside some time to rest and recharge.
- 6 freelance writing upgrades that are well worth the investment
- How to care for yourself (and your writing) as a freelance writer
- 6 types of resources to help improve your writing skill set
Now that you know how to start the new year as a freelancer, why not take the time to get started? Good luck! Take the time now to focus on these tasks, and you’ll be on your way to achieving your goals for the new year.